Hong Kong Bubble Waffle is a well-known sweet treat adored by most everyone who has tried them. Also known as “Eggettes” or in Cantonese, “Gai Daan Jai”, these little orbs of crispy on the outside, custardy on the inside gems have a very addictive pull.
The origins of Bubble Waffles are unknown but it would be a no brainer to have Hong Kong take the credit. Why? Because Hong Kong Bubble Waffles are on every street corner and not surprisingly, Bubble Waffles have consistently been ranked #1 among all of the street foods available in Hong Kong.
The Hungry Chilipinos have also given Bubble Waffles a big thumbs up, as well. It is fun to eat and tastes so, so yummy! #1 for sure!
Eggs and Much More
Bubble Waffles are special and definitely are not like a regular American style waffle. Both use eggs but unlike regular waffles, the Bubble Waffle batter has some different dry ingredients, which help to produce the unique crispy and custardy texture that makes the waffle taste so delicious.
The Original Gets Fancy
Back in the old days, plain Bubble Waffles were the norm. It wasn’t fancy or dressed up. But as time progressed, Bubble Waffle makers became more creative. They added some flare and created signature flavors of all kinds ~
Chocolate, Strawberry, Green Tea, Taro, Mango, Key Lime, Apple Pie and Banana
Top It Off With More Stuff
Fillings galore ~
Assorted Fruits, Mini Mochi Rice Cakes, Oreos, Cheese Cake, Nutella, Chocolate Chips, Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kats, Snickers and Sweet Adzuki Beans
Bubble Waffles also became a sandwich, filled with ~
Ham, Turkey, Bacon, Veggies and many other usual sandwich fixins’ available
New Style Ice Cream Cone
The Bubble Waffle has also become a decadent and beautifully styled ice cream dessert. The Bubble Waffle takes the place of a regular sugar or waffle cone.
After the Bubble Waffle is finished baking in its griddle, it is taken out, rolled into a cone shape and cooled.
Then, you can choose your favorite ice cream flavors, candy toppings, fruit toppings, cookie toppings and whipped cream. and these fill the Bubble Waffle Cone.
Take a look at how eye-poppingly delicious that looks! That is definitely the best ice cream cone to boot!
It Must Be Perfect
When we first wanted to make Bubble Waffles at home, we had to go through a lot of trial and error to make the perfect Bubble Waffle batter. It was a gigantic learning curve.
Why? Because in order to have the perfect Bubble Waffle, the batter must produce a crispy exterior and a custardy interior. That unique texture is the true mark of a successful Bubble Waffle.
We spent a lot of time perfecting the batter at the Hungry Chilipinos’ Headquarters. We spent many hours testing out different flours, liquids and ratios before we developed the perfect batter.
Believe us, that batter needs to be perfect and when we say the Bubble Waffle must be crispy on the outside and custardy on the inside, we mean it.
True Bubble Waffle connoisseurs will shame a Bubble Waffle maker if a waffle turns out floppy and soggy. (We’ve had our share of shame.) It’s just that important to make it exactly perfect.
Cravings For The Orbs Of Yumminess
In our town, Bubble Waffles are not available in too many areas. But they are beginning to get some love. We think it will eventually become a very beloved snack. Thankfully, when the craving hits, we don’t have to search for a shop selling Bubble Waffles. We just pull out the good ol’ Bubble Waffle Maker and crank some of those sweet babies out.
Bubble Waffle Love
We love Bubble Waffles and hope that you love them as well.
Now, if you are craving some Bubble Waffle love and would like to get the recipe, we have it at the end of this blog or head on over to our recipe box for a printable copy.
We also have tested out a few Bubble Waffle Makers. See the one that we have used to make the best Bubble Waffles at home.
By the way, if you love Bubble Waffles or have a question about them, feel free to leave a comment below!
We would love to hear from you!
The Hungry Chilipinos
- 6 egg whites, beaten to a stiff peak
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons Bird's Custard Powder
- 1 1/2 Cups evaporated milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour/starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Coconut oil or cooking spray to grease the Bubble Waffle Maker
- Starblue Bubble Waffle Maker or Bubble Maker of your choice (If you don't know which one to get, go to our SHOP menu and we have some recommendations)
- Step 1 Preheat Bubble Waffle Maker
- Step 2 Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites into a separate bowl
- Step 3 Set aside the egg yolks
- Step 4 Whip the egg whites until it forms stiff peaks and set aside
- Step 5 Mix the 3 tablespoons Bird’s Custard Powder into the 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- Step 6 Stir well and set aside
- Step 7 Beat the egg yolks until blended
- Step 8 Add sugar, butter, vanilla and salt into the egg yolks and add in the custard powder/evaporated milk liquid
- Step 9 Add flour, tapioca flour/starch and baking powder into egg mixture and blend until everything is incorporated
- Step 10 Fold in the whipped egg whites
- Step 11 Mix until smooth
- Step 12 To cook the waffles, grease the whole waffle maker with some coconut oil or cooking spray
- Step 13 Measure out 1/2 cup of batter and pour into preheated Bubble Waffle Maker
- Step 14 Make sure to fill in all the bubbles in the waffle maker with the batter
- Step 15 Close the lid
- Step 16 Cook on one side for about 2 minutes
- Step 17 Flip the bubble waffle maker and cook for another 3-4 minutes
- Step 18 Open the Bubble Waffle Maker lid and lift out with fork or tongs
- Step 19 Place Bubble Waffle on a cooling rack and let cool for about 5 minutes
- Step 20 Eat as is or add ice cream or topping of your choice
Bubble Waffle Sundae
- 1 Bubble Waffle, cooled
- 2 scoops chocolate ice cream
- 1 tablespoon M&M’s
- 2 KitKat bars
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- Place the cooled Bubble Waffle cone into a tall cup with a wide mouth
- Put one scoop of chocolate ice cream in the waffle cone and top it with the second scoop
- Sprinkle M&M’s on top
- Stick the KitKat bars on left and right side of cone
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup
There’s so many ways to make a sundae so go ahead and try your own combinations of ice cream and toppings. Enjoy!