Apricot season is here! In our post, Summer Fruit series #3 ~ Apricot Bliss, we highlight this late July/early August ambrosial golden fruit. We had a chance to pick some perfectly ripe apricots off of our brother/sis-in-law’s tree a few weekends ago.
Wow, nothing better than to own some fruit trees and being able to walk a few steps out into the yard to pick some ripe, juicy fruit!
Of course, we had eaten plenty while picking and they were very juicy and sweet! After we had our fill, there was still quite a few left. We decided to make a fruit puree to top our pancakes and ice cream. But we also wanted to create a luscious but easy dessert to showcase the beautiful color of the apricots.
So, with a few ingredients, we made Apricot Cream Cheese Napoleons!
The apricot puree was deliciously sweet and slightly tart. And the fluffy, sweetened cream cheese filling complemented the fruit puree very well.
This is an easy recipe and uses only a handful of ingredients. We love easy but we also love delicious. And was this one delicious!
Give this a try while the apricots are at its peak of yumminess. Enjoy!
Apricot Cream Cheese Napoleons
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 2 cups fresh apricots, halved and pitted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Step 1 Apricot Puree
- Step 2 Cut the apricots in half and take out the pit
- Step 3 In a medium size saucepan, put the 2 cups of apricot, 1/2 cup sugar, the lemon juice and water
- Step 4 Mash down the apricots but leave some small chunks for texture
- Step 5 Cook the apricot mixture on medium heat for 20 minutes until it becomes a thick puree
- Step 6 Set aside and let cool
- Step 7 Cream Cheese Filling
- Step 8 With an electric mixer, blend the cream cheese with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, milk and the vanilla
- Step 9 Mix until it is creamy and fluffy
- Step 10 Refrigerate until ready to assemble the Napoleons
- Step 11 Assembling the Napoleons
- Step 12 Take each square of the puff pastry and take the tops off
- Step 13 Spread a thin layer of the sweetened cream cheese on a bottom half of puff pastry
- Step 14 Add a spoon of apricot puree
- Step 15 Layer another piece of pastry and repeat with a thin layer of cream cheese and a spoonful of apricot puree
- Step 16 Top it off with a third piece of puff pastry and top with a small dollop of cream cheese and a chunk of apricot from the puree
- Step 17 Sprinkle with some powdered sugar
- Step 18 May be chilled for up to an hour before serving